part of our mission to be the best resource
for languages and cultures, Asia for Kids offers
interesting links, articles, fact sheets, guidelines,
and activities for parents, educators, and kids.
Please also visit our general
list of online resources
The Lunar New Year section of our Kids'
Corner has more details on Chinese zodiac,
and the New Year's Day through the year 2020
in Gregorian calendar. Also learn about how
to celebrate it.
Festival - Learn about the history and significance. Also
learn to make delicious mooncakes?
If you need to
check out any multicultural holidays, see our Holiday
Pacific American Heritage Month (May each year)
For families with children
from Asia we have listed helpful resources and materials to aid
you in the process in our Adoption
Want to teach your child
another language? Don't miss Parents'
Corner on how to approach it.
Are you looking for materials for your school or library? Then,
visit our Teachers'
Corner for information on how
to place an order.
Some of the languages offered in materials available from Asia For Kids:
- Arabic - Used throughout the Middle East and countries with large Muslim populations
- the language of Bangladesh, also widely spoken in Calcutta,
- Chinese spoken in Guangdong province
- the language of Iran
- the national language of the Philippines since 1987 and based
on Tagalog with some English and Spanish
- (pronounced Mong) The language of the Hmong people from Laos,
Vietnam, & Thailand
- One of the major languages of the Philippines
- the language of Cambodia
-Chinese spoken in most of Mainland China, Taiwan, & Singapore
- One of the major languages of the Philippines spoken in and
- Official language of India with many dialects
- Gujarati, Punjabi, Tamil, Urdu - Some of the many other languages spoken in India
- Spoken in Somalia
- Serbo-Croatian - Spoken by those in some areas of former Yugoslavia
Facts about Chinese:
- Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese use the same
- Traditional Chinese characters - used in Taiwan, Hong
Kong, Japan and Korea and many other Asian countries
- Simplified Chinese characters - used in Mainland China,
Singapore & Malaysia
- Pinyin (Hanyu Pinyin) - Romanization
of Chinese used in mainland China
- Zhuyin (Bopomofo) - phonetic symbols
used for Mandarin Chinese used in Taiwan